Friday, January 2, 2015

Goal Setting


The Importance of Goals and Success in Life. 

(Disclaimer: I am not an expert, I have just read a lot and observed lots of past successes and failures in the lives of friends and family and my own life. I post this to help and pump you up as well as myself for this new year.)

#1. You need to start off knowing that you and you alone control your destiny. As Mr. Walt Elias Disney once said "If you can dream it, you can do it." What a profound statement and it rings true with any successful person you look at. From the outside you may think that the successful and famous had it handed to them, but that is because you weren't there through sweat, tears, rejection, heartache, and the tiny glimpses of hope and little successes along the way! Trust me, these people we idolize did not have it handed to them on a silver platter (ok maybe a few did because of the hard work of their parents, but that is extremely RARE). For the most part, they all worked their asses off! And NEVER gave up, no matter what. 
         So why isn't everyone hugely successful if truly anyone can be? Well the thing is most people aren't willing to do the work for the long haul or don't "keep moving forward" when times are tough; they don't seen any gains in achieving their goals and decide to quit too soon. Which reminds me of another quote by Thomas Edison, "Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up." WOW! 

I am the same as everyone else, it is hard to be disciplined and keep going at times. For example, on the first of the new year I ate a huge Chick-FIl-A Spicy Sandwich and Large Fry and a COKE when one of my resolutions was to eat CLEAN! (We are all weak, but the difference is who chooses to keep succumbing to their weakness versus those who get up and start over day after day, fail after fail.)...I want to give you a few pointers that I have found help me be more successful and productive in achieving my goals. 

#1. Again, you have to realize you are in charge of you. Every decision and word you speak has a consequence either good or bad. Don't blame others. If something is going wrong in your life it's your fault. Once you own that it is empowering and you can take action and responsibility for changing your life.  You only get one, (unless reincarnation is real, but I'm not betting on that) so make it count!!! Now obviously you can't control if you get hit by a car, but you could have looked before you crossed the street and you can control the decisions you can make about your attitude later and how you use negative incidents in your life. Shit happens. It happens to everyone. But you have to find a way to deal with it and keep moving forward.  

#2. Set specific achievable goals. Don't say, "I am going to get skinny."  Instead say, "I am going to lose 10 lbs by March 25th." Don't say, "I am going to make money this year." Instead say, "I am going to make $20 k in my small business venture no matter what it takes." AND write it down!!!! That's the next step... 
#3. You must have a written plan of action. If you want to lose 10 lbs you need to research and study best weight loss and exercise practices. You need to make or use a routine and keep track of your data. Make a big poster board chart and put it in your bathroom or next to your mirror. If you want to make $20k more this year, you better figure out your marketing plan and outline your daily marketing along with month and week plans for that small start up business. You have to design it with foresight, implement it, and own it. And it's ok to make a few mistakes here and there, but learn from your mistakes, and make corrections as needed. 

#4. This is huge. You must have a partner in "crime." Two heads are better than one. And "a three fold cord is not easily broken"( Ecclesiastes 4:12). If you can have more than one person on your team even better! You need to speak with this person at a designated time every week. Don't reschedule, make it happen. In your meetings you first need to recap the good and achievements you made since the last meeting. Always focus on the positive. Next spend time mapping out goals and tasks for the following week or day(s). If your person is working on the same goals as you, you can delegate tasks. If not use this person as your cheerleader and accountability partner. 

NOTE: When choosing your team: Don't choose someone who is complacent and a pushover and tells you what you want to hear. Choose an honest soul. You need a strong positive personality that can tell it like it is, but also help keep you stay pumped in achieving your goals. Choose someone who cares about you and your ambitions. 

#5. Keep your goal calendar/plan where you can see it everyday so it can HAUNT you. I keep my business calendar and paper work on my coffee table where it drives the entire family nuts! That way I never forget it! It's in the center of my house calling to me when I am running around doing laundry, vacuuming, etc.  And before you go to bed at night write down what you accomplished that day and what u have to accomplish tomorrow in a journal or notebook. Paper is better than electronic files. You can hide files on your computer. You can't hide paper and clutter in the middle of your home!  

In closing, no one ever got the six pack by dieting for three weeks and doing a few crunches. T-Swift didn't become a super star by singing once in awhile and recording an album or two. Making HUGE successes and achievements takes HUGE work!!! Are you the person that will make huge success and stay disciplined to do so? Or are you a quitter who we will find eating chips on the couch a pile of debt up to your eye balls in a few months? 

Make the best of every situation. Love others. And work your ass off with a specific set of goals and a plan. That will make you successful, not just dreaming and hoping one day you will be famous, have a six pack, and be a millionaire. It's all on you kiddo. 

Happy 2015. 

 www.SaraCrabtreeMusic.com    #SCMJourney    #NeverGiveUp


More pointers and places to learn how to be successful in general: 

More pointers and places to learn how to be successful in a music career: 

More pointers and places to learn how to be successful in health:



No comments:

Post a Comment

About This Site

I am hoping to write about my journey into making singing and songwriting my full time profession. I want to post my insights, discoveries, experiences, and inner thoughts about this journey. I am hoping to give readers an inside look at the hard work, dedication, criticisms, and general experiences of this profession along with simply having a way to tell you about this journey. I hope you find something that is beneficial and meaningful to you here. Please email me with any comments or questions! ~Sara Crabtree